- No need to visit a doctor
- Results by email
- Prescription never expires
- All inclusive, no extra fees
- 1-minute checkout
in a few minutes
90 day money-back
at the doctor's
What is Epididymitis?
Epididymitis is an inflammation of the epididymis. The epididymis is the tube through which sperm pass. The tube is located at the back of each testicle. Epididymitis can affect both testicles, but it most often occurs on just one side.
How Do We Test For Epididymitis?
Your health care provider will examine your groin and scrotum to rule out other possible diagnoses. You may have a rectal exam. You may also have these tests:
- Tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
- CBC with differential
How Does Epididymitis Occur?
Epididymitis is caused by bacterial infections, such as:
- Urinary tract infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as Chlamydia or Gonorrhea
- Prostatitis (infection of the prostate)
It may also happen if you have:
- A fungal infection
- Henoch-Schoenlein purpura (a disease that causes a rash and swelling of joints)
- A prostatectomy (removal of the prostate)
- A medical procedure that affects your urinary tract, such as cystoscopy (looking at the inside of the bladder through a slim, flexible, lighted tube) or a catheter (a small tube put into the bladder to drain the urine from your body).
Sometimes men have Epididymitis when they are taking a heart medicine called amiodarone (Cordarone).
What Are the Symptoms of Epididymitis?
Possible symptoms of Epididymitis are:
- Red, warm skin on the scrotum
- Tender, swollen testicle or groin area on one side
- Testicle pain that feels worse when you have a bowel movement
- Fever and chills
- Discharge from the urethra (the opening at the end of the penis)
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Pain with intercourse or ejaculation
- Testicular lump
- Lower abdominal discomfort or pelvic discomfort
- Blood in the semen
Because pain in the testicles can be a symptom of another, more serious problem (testicular torsion), contact your health care provider right away if you have this symptom.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, an epididymitis blood and urine lab test can help identify this disease in your system.
What is epididymitis?
Epididymitis is an inflammation of the epididymis: a structure in the male reproductive system that lies on the back of each testicle. It usually occurs in men suffering from Chlamydia or Gonorrhea, but it can also occur after an injury to the scrotum. This infection can cause:
However, usually it doesn't cause serious complications and can be treated with antibiotics.
How to test for the cause of epididymitis?
The most common cause of epididymitis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD). To better understand the cause of your epididymitis, you can start by getting the following tests done:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Gonorrhea and Chlamydia tests
Once you get these results, your doctor can guide you through treatment options or further testing as needed.
Do I need to visit a doctor?
Nope. You don't need a doctor's visit to get a test with us.
How do I get my results?
You'll get your results via email as soon as they are available. We will notify you via SMS as well. You can also see them at any time in the future right in your dashboard where you can easily share them with your professional and compare them side by side with future tests.
Does my lab prescription expire?
We're the only lab that honors your lab order forever.